Saturday, March 03, 2007

Ghost Rider

This is a Marvel Comics movie on the character The Ghost Rider, starring Nicolas Cage.

It has a very Catholic view of good vs. evil in the same vein as movies like The Order: The Sin Eater (with Heath Ledger).

It is also very much a comic book movie - totally implausible, silly-but-taking-itself-seriously and over the top in animation of the evil faces, etc.

Aside from the fact that he never really willingly sold his soul to the Devil and that the Devil does not seem to be as evil as his son, Mephestopheles (a bit blasphemous there!), the story is about a boy who makes a deal to try to save his father's life and ends up being the Devil's Bounty Hunter. He behaves very recklessly as a stunt motorcycle rider, trying to find out if he has any control over his own fate or if the Devil keeps him alive. Then, the Devil calls on him to get rid of his son and his son's buddies, apparently a challenge to his power - or something like that - it didn't make complete sense.

From a religious stand point, I think there is some objection to the personification of Satan and these ridiculous notions of how evil works, etc. But it is after all, a ridiculous comic book fantasy. 10-year-old boys like my nephew will like it, but is it good for them? Harmless? I don't know.

At least Nicolas Cage showed that his character was wanting to find the right path and regretted any past 'mistakes'.

3 comments:

musicalchef said...

Thanks for the review! I haven't seen this movie yet, but would like to.

Can I submit some reviews? I have written one at my blog for Over the Hedge (musicalchef.wordpress.com), and can write some more, if you want me to post them here. My email is musicalchef at gmail dot com.

otowi said...

Absolutely! Love to have you. I've sent you an invite. Please let me know if you do not get it.

Moe said...

i actually enjoyed the movie. 2b honest never been a real ghost rider fan, but since recently purchased Marvel Ultimate Alliance PSP, which incl both Ghost rider, Mephisto and Blackheart it seems interesting but def not deep story line like spiderman, x-men etc.

but still cool, movie for me was lacking something. i really enjoy comics coming to life but this was just a bit boring i guess! only like the part "Lets Ride",